Wind Power - Clean and Efficient
Wind power is growing worldwide as a major source of renewable energy. To meet the demand for alternative energy sources, large numbers of wind power generators are being deployed on wind farms both at land and sea. Home wind power is also growing rapidly as residential wind power generators are becoming increasingly efficient and practical. Do it yourself wind turbines are sprouting up across the country with some very innovative designs. In the US, wind power generation has doubled in the last two years to more than 20 gigawatts, and recently passed Germany as the world leader in wind energy generation. Even with these strides, wind power currently provides less than 2% of the US electricity supply. However, government forecasts optimistically call for wind power to provide 20% of the nation`s electricity by 2030.
Advantages of Wind Power
- Wind power offers many advantages, which explains why it’s the fastest-growing energy source in the world. A road map for energy independence based on strong national investment in wind power has been the cornerstone of T. Boone Pickens «Pickens Plan».
- Wind energy is fueled by the wind, so it’s a clean fuel source. Wind energy doesn’t pollute the air like power plants that rely on combustion of fossil fuels, such as coal or natural gas. Wind turbines don’t produce atmospheric emissions that cause acid rain or greenhouse gasses.
- Wind energy is a domestic source of energy, produced in the United States. The nation’s wind supply is abundant.
- Wind energy relies on the renewable power of the wind, which can’t be used up.
- Wind energy is one of the lowest-priced renewable energy technologies available today, costing between 4 and 6 cents per kilowatt-hour, depending upon the wind resource and project financing of the particular project.
- Wind turbines can be built on farms or ranches, thus benefiting the economy in rural areas, where most of the best wind sites are found. Farmers and ranchers can continue to work the land because the wind turbines use only a fraction of the land. Wind power plant owners make rent payments to the farmer or rancher for the use of the land.
Leave a Comment
Error: Formulario de contacto no encontrado.